Saturday 4 April 2009

Sunny Sussex - Part Two (Winnie-The-Pooh)

As I was staying close to Ashdown Forest we had to see if we could find Pooh!

Ashdown Forest is famous as the setting for the "Winnie the Pooh" stories which were written by A. A. Milne for his son Christopher Robin. There are lots if places that are in the stories that can be found on the Forest. Places such as Poohsticks Bridge, Galleon's Lap, Roo's Sandy pit, the North Pole, the Hundred Acre Wood, Heffalump Trap and The Dark and Mysterious Forest.

More information about the Forest and Winnie-the-Pooh can be found here.

Ashdown Forest is big and for a Forest it doesn't have as many trees as I'd expected. Two thirds of it is heathland, so why is it called a Forest? Beats me! My hostess told me it's 6500 acres, which sounds an awful lot to a little bear like me. I was a bit worried that she'd expect me to cover all of these acres (whatever they are) on my little legs in our search for Pooh.

Here I am with some of the Forest (see no trees!) behind me.

Although I didn't actually see Winnie-the-Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore or Christopher Robin but I did see some of the places they play.
This is the Sandy Pit.

This is The Enchanted Place where there is a memorial to A.A. Milne and E.H. Shepard

This tree is the Lone Pine. I didn't want to go to close because underneath it lies a "Heffalump Trap". Pooh and Piglet planned to capture a Heffalump in this hole and I was a bit frighted there might be one there. I don't actually know what a Heffalump is but I was in no hurry to find out.

It was disappointing not to meet Pooh or his friends. Maybe next time.

I've packed my bags and prepared my carriage, today I set off to Wales!
See you soon!
love Scarlett.xx